free html hit counter

Sunday, December 19, 2004

One Million Books

We went to Barnes & Noble tonight and got a couple of books for their One Million Books program. It felt really strange to check out, pay for some books, then leave with nothing. Good feeling though. Books and reading have always really important to Heather Marie and me, and we're glad to be able to share that with someone else.

It turned out to be harder than we expected to pick stuff out, though. Heather asked me what kinds of books I liked when I was a 10 year-old boy. I doubt my responses were typical, though: Tolkien, fantasy, sci-fi, and other adult fare. I remember that in 4th grade there was a group in my class (including Dan and me) that wound up using a 9th grade level reading book. I think they might have moved us higher still, but that was the highest level reading book available that had curriculum for it.

Heather Marie was in a similar fix when we were picking a book for a teenage girl, but hopefully we found good stuff for them.

Our friends Bill and David are coming into town tomorrow. We haven't seen them in a while, and they both have endearing qualities that make them fun to hang out with. ;-) Should be a good time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home