free html hit counter

Wednesday, November 03, 2004

Happy birthday to me!

I've successfully survived another trip around the sun, so I guess everything is at least ok. Dinner out with Heather Marie and snuggling up on the couch to watch videos isn't exactly a jet-setting celebration, but it was just about perfect for me.

I'm getting nowhere with NaNoWriMo. I got nothin', and not much time to write it. I guess I'll make some time tomorrow night to just spew out some random crap and see if anything comes together for me.

I stayed up far too late last night watching election returns, but I tend to become something of a political junkie every other November, so it's kind of fun to geek out in front of the TV for an entire night. It seems strange now to think about watching returns without Internet supplements.

So, here's my last comment on politics until the next cycle:

I have to keep reminding myself that the Internet and blogs are not characteristic samplings of opinion. Centrist, moderate, middle-of-the-road people don't get much attention, which just amplifies the voices of the lunatic fringe on both sides. If someone's sole impression of "the other side" is gleaned from forums and blogs, then they're viewing the world through some pretty skewed glasses.

Here's a newsflash: unless you're one of the lunatic fringe on your side, then the vast majority of the other side is almost exactly like you. No more insane, stupid, or evil than you are yourself.

That's all. We now return you to your regularly scheduled blather.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home