free html hit counter

Friday, February 24, 2006

Crunch Time

The next few months are going to be pretty wild and hairy at work. We're pretty laid back most of the time, but I can easily imagine some 50-60 hour weeks until we ship our next version. It's been a long road, but we've learned a lot, and we're finally nearing the end.

Maybe one of the most frustrating aspects for me has been that over the course of 3+ years working with Visual Studio, C#, and .NET, I've discovered much better tools. It's been rather like having a job delivering pizzas in a Ford Festiva, but getting to drive a BMW 325 on nights and weekends.

I've often considered trying to calculate how much time I spend in an average day going through the build-run-test-rebuild cycle, but I don't think I really want to know. I shudder at the thought of learning for sure that I spend several days a year watching build messages. With VS2005, C# is finally getting VB's edit-continue feature, which will help enormously, but it's still not really on par with some other environments and languages I've used.

Heather Marie's parents are visiting this weekend, and we're looking forward to having some fun while they're here. I definitely feel like it's past my bedtime, though.

1 Comments:

Blogger Ryan said...

It's been rather like having a job delivering pizzas in a Ford Festiva, but getting to drive a BMW 325 on nights and weekends.

Actually, let me amend that. Visual Studio is more like driving a full-sized Hummer everywhere: there's not much it can't do, but I only use about 10% of what it does, and it's only pretty good at most of that.

2/25/2006 11:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home