free html hit counter

Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Writing and Running

Although I haven't ever actually "won" NaNoWriMo, I have done it enough to get a feel for it, and it's a little like running a marathon (well, maybe a 5k, since it's only 50,000 words). You have to keep up a steady pace day after day, but eventually your story gains a momentum of its own that sort of pulls you along in its wake.

If NaNoWriMo is a distance race, though, then my "month of short stories" idea is turning into daily wind sprints. There isn't the pressure of a running storyline to maintain, but there also isn't the assistance of the momentum. They say the hardest part of writing a story is starting, so I'm basically doing the hardest part every single day.

I'm ashamed to admit it, but only a few days in, and I can feel it wearing on me. I'm not about to quit, but it is a lot harder than I'd anticipated!

Nevertheless, I have a story tonight, so please enjoy Miniature Foam Game. It's by far the shortest so far, but I think that I must be subconsciously correcting the average back down to what I'd originally anticipated.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home