free html hit counter

Monday, January 15, 2007

No Popcorn, Thank You

We saw the new Orville Redenbacher commercial tonight during the Golden Globes. It actually motivated me to send feedback to ConAgra, which is really unusual for me. So, for the record, here's what I wrote:
Ok, I'm not easily offended, but the new Orville Redenbacher commercial with the creepy CG Orville, which ran during the Golden Globes, was just disgusting. I'm not terribly bothered by the poor taste of using a morbid simulacrum of your beloved founder, I just found the unreality of it creepy, disturbing, and off-putting. I thought the recent Burger King commercials were creepy, and before that the Quiznos sandwich ads definitely didn't make me want a sub, but I really think the CG-looking Orville may give me nightmares. It isn't just passing through the Uncanny Valley, it's moving in, chopping down some trees, building a farm, and (presumably) planting a corn crop. The commercial did make me want some popcorn, but the box I reached for was Act II, because they don't have a creepy reanimated corpse for a mascot. You're certainly free to use whatever advertisements you want, but as a customer, I feel some obligation to inform you when you're totally missing the mark.
I think that about sums it up for me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home