free html hit counter

Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Running Dreams

In addition to the typical flying dreams, I've always had recurring dreams about running. Usually it's running from something or after something or some other Freudian embodiment of anxiety, but what sticks in my mind upon waking is the running part -- just effortlessly running and running.

I'll be the first to admit that I've never been in what you might consider great shape, and recently I've been in genuinely bad shape. I was never in bad shape in high school and college (in fact, I was occassionally ok, fitnesswise), but even though I've always been able to hike and walk long distances with little trouble, running has never been my thing, which is why dreams of running without gasping for air are so alluring to me.

Five weeks ago, I started off walking for 30 minutes. After a couple of days, I started running 30 seconds after every five minutes of walking. As of today, I'm running 5 minutes for every 3 minutes of walking, and it actually seems relatively easy now. In three more weeks, at the end of the eight week regimen, I will have worked up to running two miles non-stop, five days a week. After that? Stay tuned....

For those who have seen me recently, that's probably quite a shock. To put it in perspective, in a little over a month, I've gone from getting winded climbing a flight of stairs to being able to carry on a conversation while running for 5 minutes. In the past three weeks, I've lost an average of 2 lbs per week. Not a lot, and I've got much more to go, but it's a start.

(And, yes, mother, before you ask: I'm following a sane plan, I'm not overdoing it, and I'm running at the gym, around people who know what they're doing.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home