free html hit counter

Saturday, March 17, 2007

Lessons Learned

We made it to the Celtic Grill tonight for dinner and the Blog Bash, but it wasn't quite like we'd planned, and there were a few lessons learned in the process:
  1. If you're going to a crowded place to meet a bunch of people you've never met, make sure you know what at least one of them looks like.
  2. Irish-themed restaurants are really not a place you want to be on St. Patrick's Day. Honestly, if I worked there, I'd go out of my way to get the flu every March. Despite the craziness, though, the staff was great.
  3. Octogenarians swilling green beer are not something you want to see.
  4. No one in a random sampling of NWA bar patrons knew what a blogger was. (Me: "Do you know if the bloggers are here?" Waiter: "No, the band is called Cullen's Hounds. The Bloggers aren't playing tonight.")
We got there a little late, and we had to wait a little over an hour for a table. While we waited we got to meet Valerie, who was also there for the bash. For a while we took turns venturing into the maelstrom trying to find our group, but to no avail. Heather Marie and I had put our names on the list as soon as we arrived, but Valerie finally decided to head home and try again some other time.

We finally got a seat in a booth in the bar area, and the meal was excellent (as always). My St. Patrick's Day pint of Guinness was good, but judging by the foam, I'm not entirely sure they poured it quite right. I think I've been spoiled by Guinness' cool, self-carbonating can contraption.

As we were just finishing our meal, Joe from Techography came up and asked if I was Ryan and if I had a blog. It turns out that they had all been at the table next to us the entire time! They had been debating whether or not I was me for a few minutes, but they weren't sure, since the only obvious pic on my blog is the cartoon one. Personally, I'm flattered to think that I did a good enough job on it that they recognized me at all. In retrospect, I think I should've recognized Matt, though, since he actually does look a little like the drawing on Overtaken By Events (minus the brick, of course).

Over all, we had a really good time. It was great to meet some of the locals whose blogs I read, and to finally put faces with their names. Plus, Heather Marie got to bring home a couple of the cool little Erin Go Bragh flags that the restaurant was decorated with.

Maybe with St. Patrick's Day on Monday next year the Celtic Grill won't be so crowded, but I wouldn't count on it. I think it has definitely been discovered now, and although Heather Marie and I love it, I think from now on we'll plan our visits for lunches and non-holidays.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home