free html hit counter

Thursday, July 20, 2006

Blogathon Interrupted

I'm calling off the Blogathon, at least temporarily. Heather Marie has just got too much going between now and when the museum's new exhibit opens on July 31. Maybe we'll give it another shot after that. Besides, it's really not as much fun when it's just the two of us. I'm still planning to post every day, but it's all optional.

After a few days of working with them, I've decided that I prefer CopyWrite to Ulysses as a writing program. It's not a price thing, it's just that CopyWrite seems to click better for me. Nothing against Ulysses at all, in fact, I think it may be slightly more Mac-ish than CW, which might explain my preference, having come from a Windows background.

The drawing program is a tougher call. I've been trying out Manga Studio, hoping that the cheaper debut version would suffice. I say "trying out," but it would actually be more accurate to say, "trying to try out." For some reason, nothing that I draw with it is showing up anymore. It's either a bug or setting that I accidentally messed up, but either way I'm frustrated and unimpressed. All problems aside, though, it seems like it should be a fantastic program for drawing black and white comics, especially if print is their final destination. That's not quite what I want, though. The real killer is that it's apparently impossible (or at least uselessly hard) to do anything in color.

That leaves Sketchbook Pro. At $200 it's a lot more than Manga Studio Debut, but it's less than the pro version. It doesn't have any tools specifically for comics, which isn't a huge deal, especially since Manga Studio is targeted completely at manga comics. No, that shouldn't be a surprise, but somehow it was. $200 is a little out-of-budget at the moment, though, so I guess I'll be waiting a while on it. No rush -- I've still got paper and pencils.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

So, when you draw something with Manga Studio, does it automatically give characters the big eyes, small non-screaming mouths, and huge screaming mouths? :)

7/21/2006 12:47 PM  
Blogger Ryan said...

Yup, and it automatically removes noses, shrinks necks, and makes everyone look like a teenager.

It's a one-stop Manga shop!

7/21/2006 12:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home