free html hit counter

Friday, April 28, 2006

Made it to Friday

This week seemed to stretch on and on, but it was pretty good and reasonably productive. Now I'm definitely ready for a weekend, though. We'd wanted to go camping tomorrow night, but it's been raining all day, and it's looking to continue through tomorrow, so camping is probably out.

There's a good Seaside video up on Google Video. I haven't gotten to watch the whole thing yet, but I'm looking forward to it. As much as I like Smalltalk and Seaside, I keep finding myself attracted back to Ruby and Rails, and a big part of that is documentation. I tend to learn best from examples and written documentation, but although Seaside examples are readily available, written documentation on Smalltalk and Seaside is hard to come by. There are more Smalltalk books than Ruby books, but most of them are at least 10 years old, while the canonical Ruby book is relatively new.

I also find many of the Smalltalk book frustrating, since they seem to focus on explaining the hot new object-oriented approach to programming. Since I haven't been living in a cave or writing exclusively in BASIC for the past 15 years, that's not really something I need a book for. And even though Rails only has one book out at present, it is an excellent one, and it's one more than Seaside has.

That's sort of a catch 22 for me, though, is part of my attraction to Seaside is due to its cutting edge, outsider status compared to Rails, so if it were popular enough to acquire the same level of documentation that Rails has, then I probably wouldn't like it nearly as much. Silly, I know, but I appreciate the irony.

Quite the conundrum....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home