free html hit counter

Sunday, August 13, 2006

Lazy Weekend

I wish I could say that we did great, inspiring things this weekend, but we mostly just lounged around and watched season four of Gilmore Girls. That was really good, though, since we were pretty worn out by the end of the week.

One funny bit of synchronicity with Gilmore Girls came in an episode where two characters went to Florida for spring break and spent most of their time in their hotel room watching The Power of Myth. As it happens, I have the Power of Myth DVDs checked out from Netflix right now, and I'm finishing the last episode as I write this.

I first saw the series when it aired on PBS, but at the time, I was most attracted to it due to the use of Star Wars in the early episodes. I studied the basic principles, especially the hero cycle, throughout school, but I haven't watched the actual series interviews much since they were on PBS. I've been really surprised, though, by how much I remembered. It's hard to say how much was recalled from the original airing and how much was from school lectures, but it seems to me that I simply internalized and absorbed many of the ideas. Time and again Campbell has told stories or described concepts that I've long been familiar with, but didn't remember learning, and I've realized that his books and interviews were the sources.

Magaidh seems to have made a full recovery, much to our relief. Unfortunately, I'm still suffering from an outbreak of the weird, hives-like allergic rash I get once a year or so. Still no clue what causes it, either. Before you ask, yes, we've eliminated all the usual suspects, from food to laundry detergent. For all we know, it could just be stress. At least it's nearly gone now, with just a little itching and redness on one hand, and hopefully that'll be gone after a good night's sleep and a dose of Benadryl. I think I'll go get started on that now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home