free html hit counter

Thursday, August 18, 2005

First Impressions

I write this from a Mac. Frankly, though, at this point I think I'm more excited about just having my own laptop to use. I've got my IM programs, NeoOffice, development tools, and Remote Desktop Client installed and working now, so I've got all that I need to get started with. Everything else I guess I'll pick up as I go along.

So, what are my first impressions? Hardware-wise, the screen can only be described as outstanding...three years ago. It literally pales in comparison to similarly sized PC screens. It's about on par with the screen on Heather Marie's Dell Inspiron (circa 2002). Apple has really been left behind in that area. Other than the screen, though, it seems to be a solid little machine. And I do mean little. Closed, it's about the size of a standard sheet of paper, and about as thick as half your pinky finger. It weighs in at just under 5 lbs, or about half the Dell.

I'm not sure I like Safari. I've grown very fond of FireFox on Windows, so I may have to give it a try here, too.

Like many Switchers, the Menu-Bar-at-the-Top thing throws me. I'm constantly closing windows rather than exiting applications. I understand the reasons for it, but it just seems rather awkward to me right now. With multiple programs running, it's like I have a woodworking shop, complete with table saw, planer, and all the other normal tools on the floor, but the controls for all of them are located on the wall by the door. Seems like lots of back and forth.

More to come as I go along, although I plan to avoid turning this into a Mac blog.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home