free html hit counter

Saturday, February 09, 2008

Super Delegates Part I - The Implosioning Begins

As an addendum to my last post, I'd like to direct your attention to Instapundit (and thereby Althouse and Open Left).

To my mind, griping about the super delegates at this point in the game is a bit like griping about the Electoral College: you knew the rules going in, so you should've been prepared for the possibility that things might work out in unexpected ways. However, as Glenn Reynolds points out:
this attitude is not going to be shared by many people who've spent the last nearly-8 years claiming that winning the popular vote is more important than winning the electoral vote.
I don't typically pay special attention to the internals of the Democratic Party, but I assume that the super delegates, like the Electoral College, are at least partially meant to temper the influence of raw democracy with more experienced, rational forces. If that's correct, then no one should be surprised if that's exactly the effect they have.

Of course, the folks who've spent the past eight years decrying the Electoral College are likely to be the ones who are most upset by the super delegates. At least they've consistent, I suppose.

(And, yes, I'm quite aware that "implosioning" isn't a word. I just liked the sound of it, and its intended meaning is quite clear, so deal with it.)

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home